The building, originally constructed as a public school by the Federal Public Works Administration in 1939, later became a hub of a thriving Southern Humboldt Theatre and Dance renaissance- Driven by the new-settlers of the “back-to-the-land” movement. in the 1970‘s.
After several incarnations as school, meeting place & administrative offices, the building, then in decline, was purchased and partially rehabilitated by the College of the Redwoods in 2009.
The college administration was very supportive of the community vision of refurbishing the gym to recreate a theatre to serve local performing artists, & community gatherings. Organizers meeting for a year, became The Redwood Playhouse Board of Directors and entered into a lease agreement with the college that led to reopening the theatre doors as a non-profit in January 2013.
The Playhouse is available for your events, celebrations & performances.
For rental information: www.redwoodplayhouse.com
The vision statement of the Redwood Playhouse:
"To create a dynamic theatrical venue where we foster and support opportunities in the performing arts that inspire, educate and empower our community"